Requisition ID: req4529
Job Title: Economic Recovery Development Coordinator
Sector: Economic Recovery & Livelihood
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: Yes
Location: Maroua, Cameroon
The Economic Recovery and Development (ERD) Coordinator provides direct technical supervision to the ERD managers in all field sites of IRC Cameroon, specifically in Maroua, Kousseri and Buea. S/he ensures quality and technical soundness of ERD program implementation, represents IRC’s ERD sector internally and externally and is responsible for seeking new funds and writing new project proposals. All work must be in line with best practices in the field of ERD and IRC’s Program Framework. The ERD Coordinator provides technical inputs for economic programming being implemented by other sectors. This position is based in Maroua with regular travel to other field sites. The ERD Coordinator reports to the Deputy Director of Programs. The ERD Coordinator will liaise regularly with other Technical Coordinators and Program Managers, the Field Coordinators and the Operations Team.
The ERD Coordinator is expected to provide technical support to coordination groups in country (e.g. food security & livelihoods, cash working group) and regional coordination such as the Lake Chad Basin IRC cash forum. The ERD coordinator will have a leading role in the strategy implementation for Economic Well-being & Cash Programming, under the IRC2020 strategy.
Program quality- Effective program design and coordination that contributes to enhanced quality and strategic interventions at the community-level
- Ensure that all ERD Cash interventions within the Cameroon Country Program are in accordance with the Country Program strategy and other IRC specific frameworks, and meet or exceed international standards.
- Ensure that new programming follows the IRC Cameroon program design guidelines; is informed by input from the clients and includes field staff participation.
- In coordination with the grants department, actively seek new funding for continued ERD programming in the current regions, as per the ERD sector strategy developed. Lead ERD program staff in the development of new projects including budgets.
- As applicable, supervise emergency responses including designing and conducting assessments, analyzing data in a timely fashion and producing reports and implementing and coordinating the ERD response.
- Conduct and/or support trainings for the ERD sector to ensure quality and appropriateness,
- Take the lead in designing tools and conducting baselines and project evaluations. Ensure that M&E plans are developed and monitored for all ERD program projects.
- Liaise with relevant Technical Coordinators to support the design, provide training and ensure cross-sectoral integration
Program implementation- All aspects of programs are implemented and managed effectively.
- Track overall progress on projects and support ERD Managers to guide program implementation ensuring technical soundness, value for money and fulfillment of program objectives.
- Ensure that program tracking, monitoring and evaluation tools are developed and in place and work with field managers/coordinators, program managers, and grants unit to oversee their maintenance and use in compiling donor reports.
- Draft budgets and ensure that expenditures against the ERD-related component of all budgets are on track in relation to work plans and support ERD Managers in budget management through budget projections, tracking and regular reviews.
- Draft innovative proposals and concept notes, in collaboration with other sectors, designed to meet IRC’s strategy and the beneficiaries’ needs.
- Support ERD Managers in the development of project reports and conduct technical review of donor and other reports prior to Technical Unit review. Serve as focal point for incorporation and dissemination of feedback from TU.
- Ensure compliance with donor regulations/agreement terms and timely submission of reports for internal review before official submission.
- Participate in all grant/sector review meetings and ensure that all action items related to grants management are follow-up on in a timely fashion.
Human Resources- Excellent human resources management that promotes enhanced levels of professionalism and leadership within the program
- Develop and update ERD staff job descriptions and ensure staff understand their tasks and responsibilities.
- Develop performance objectives and conduct regular performance evaluation for ERD managers, as well as informal feedback.
- In coordination with ERD Managers and field managers/coordinators, provide regular informal and formal feedback for all ERD program staff.
- Ensure ERD team is adequately staffed and competent to achieve program objectives. Identify staffing and/or skills gaps and liaise with human resource department to fill these gaps/needs.
- Act as the IRC Cameroon’s focal point for technical and training support on the latest best practices in the ERD field. Conduct formal and on-the-job training for ERD staff on ERD methodologies and approaches to build capacity of ERD program staff and other staff within the country program as appropriate.
- Identify key ERD program staff to be mentored and developed.
Coordination and representation- High quality representation of organization and sector through internal and external coordination opportunities
- Ensure smooth and productive coordination with government, donor, non-government, and private sector stakeholders.
- Participate and maintain an active presence in the appropriate sector / cluster and working group meetings and other relevant government/ministerial coordination meetings as often as possible and ensure that same coordination is happening at the field-level.
- Represent ERD program to donors and other funding partners to leverage opportunities for expanded support.
- Represent ERD program internally in coordination with the IRC Cameroon programs and support departments to ensure quality, integrated programming with other sectors as well as timely support to the ERD program.
- Liaise with relevant Technical Coordinators to support the design and ensure quality of integrating economic activities within their respective sectors.
- Ensure clear communication with field sites regarding program planning, procurement, travel schedules, and staffing issues.
- Promote coordination and communication with neighboring IRC country programs, for example through the IRC Lake Chad Basin cash forum.
- At least 5 years of working in a management role in African, humanitarian or recovery contexts
- Ability to work in multi-cultural, insecure environments
- Excellent comprehension of Food Security and Livelihoods programs in emergency and post conflict settings, including experience in needs and context analysis, program design, participatory beneficiary identification, registration and selection
- Experience in Cash Transfer Programming in emergency settings including feasibility and implementation
- Proven abilities in multi-sectoral programming including the ability to design & coordinate inventions and build capacity across teams
- Proven abilities in developing work plans, data collection and analysis and performance monitoring
- Strong program/technical and budget management skills, planning, reporting, monitoring and evaluation skills,
- Strong written and oral communication skills, effective in representation and liaison with external parties
- Fluency in French required and English strongly preferred
- Knowledge of issues relating to youth and women programming
- Experience leading multi-agency coordination forums
Security in the Far North of Cameroon, Maroua & Kousseri is level III (orange) and the IRC has a curfew in place. Lodging is in a shared IRC guesthouse. Security in Buea is level IV (red) and in Yaoundé is level II (yellow)
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.