IRC BACKGROUND: The mission of the International Rescue Committee (IRC) is to help people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover and gain control of their future. Founded in 1933, the IRC has 26 offices in the United States and a presence in over 40 countries.
JOB OVERVIEW: Under the direction of the Health Programs Manager, the Health Interpreter will provide up to 17 hours/week of interpreting services for refugees attending medical, employment, and other appointments. In addition, in-house interpreting services will include activities such as assessments, R&P, cultural orientations, job development, financial literacy, school enrollments, and other activities in which clients are involved. Some written translation may also be required.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
· Participate in all orientation and training activities for the medical interpreters and staff; successfully complete Bridging the Gap Medical Training (if haven’t already).
· Assist in facilitating communication between medical staff and refugee clients by providing literal interpretation on-site. Provide spoken language interpretation to patients, medical providers and staff in person or over the telephone.
· Assist health professionals with non-English/limited English speaking patients in filling out a variety of forms for program eligibility, registration and medical history, as instructed by the Interpreter Coordinator.
· Assist in creating and/or coordinating written translation services and access to other multilingual resources as requested/necessary.
· Translate written materials and prepare written reports as needed or instructed by the Interpreter Coordinator.
· Communicate regularly with the Health Program Manager and/or IRC staff about outcomes of appointments/services provided.
· Prepare written reports/case notes of outcomes of medical appointments.
· When requested, remind clients of appointments and explain or arrange for transportation.
· May require transportation of clients to appointments.
· Comply with all policies and protocols of the agency.
· Participate in all program meetings and staff development activities.
· Other duties as assigned.