Requisition ID: req6003
Job Title: Protection Project Coordinator
Sector: Protection and rule of law
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: Yes
Location: Agadez, Niger
The Protection Project Coordinator (hereafter referred to as “Coordinator”) will be based in Agadez and will be expected to travel to field locations in the north regularly. (S)he will report to Protection Coordinator in Niamey and will oversee at least one Protection Manager. Technical advice will be available through the Violence Prevention and Response Technical Unit.
The Coordinator will be responsible for the overall management of integrated Protection projects implemented in northern Nigerand the coordination of service delivery, the overall identification of needs of migrant, refugee, and Nigérien populations, and for coordination of service responses to the identified needs. The Coordinator will be responsible for the overall quality implementation of all aspects of the project. S(he) will also be responsible for the coordination with other organizations implementing activities in Agadez and for the IRC representation in different protection-related working groups/clusters.
- Responsible for the implementation of IRC Niger Protection project(s) in northern Niger and provide guidance to the protection staff to ensure that stated goals and objectives are met, that technical quality standards are met, that the project is appropriately monitored and evaluated, and that reports are written and submitted in a timely manner;
- Identify and analyze protection concerns and gaps in northern Niger, and support the Protection Coordinator in the development of new funding opportunities fornorth of Niger, including proposal and budget development;
- Prepare and closely implement program work plans that meet the program objectives;
- In collaboration with the Protection Coordinator and the Monitoring and Evaluation Manager, develop Monitoring and Evaluation plans and tools, and ensure data is updated regularly;
- In consultation with the Protection Coordinator and IRC Finance, ensure that project activities are implemented within the assigned budget parameters, manage financial aspects of the protection projects in northern Niger, approve relevant expenses before there are uploaded in the system.
- With the Protection Coordinator, identify technical capacity needs of staff and local state and NGO partners in protection and participate in the design of trainings and other capacity-building initatives.
- Work closely and coordinates with IRC Logistics, Finance and Grant departments to ensure timely and compliant program activities and expenditures; including active participation in grant opening/closing and review meetings;
- Effectively represents IRC with the local administration, state and non-state partners as well as with Protection coordination forums in Agadez, including the Protection Working Group.
- Protection: Directly supervises at least one Protection Manager and ensures that staff possess technical and practical skills to meet quality standards in the delivery of child protection, GBV, and protection rule of law activities. (including child protection, GBV and protection monitoring teams);
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions;
- Ensure timely completion and submission of monthly timesheets, probations reviews and annual performance reviews;
- Responsible for overseeing structured staff workplans, work and vacation schedules, and staff training/development activities;
- Identify staff performance issues and work with Human Resources to document and address these in accordance with the National Staff Employment Policies;
- Ensure a strong team environment where all staff are valued, supported and motivated.
Grant Monitoring & Reporting
- Conduct monitoring of activities to ensure that activities are implemented according to timeline and meet quality standards;
- Proactively identify technical quality issues and communicate with the
- In collaboration with the Protection Coordinator, ensure IRC and donor reports as per set schedules (monthly, quarterly and annually) on grant activities, indicators and achievements are produced.
- Masters degree in International Law, Human Rights/International Humanitarian Law, Political Science or related, preferred;
- 3-6 years international professional experience in managing large-scale projects in complex environments, including in displacement/refugee settings;
- Strong program and budget management skills, including financial and program planning, reporting, and monitoring and evaluation skills;
- Demonstrated technical expertise in integrated protection programs, particularly in legal assistance and/or child protection;
- Previous work experience of protection projects/programs supporting refugees/IDPs, in complex emergencies and/or post conflict situations, preferably in Africa;);
- Demonstrated commitment to gender equality in program implementation and in the workplace;
- Strong written and oral communication skills and ability to represent IRC professionally to external parties and external parties;
- Professional-level written and oral proficiency in French & English;
- Adaptability to difficult living and working conditions, and willingness to live and work within restrictions imposed due to security issues.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize effectively and deliver results under tight timelines.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in the region, professional experience in Niger is a plus;
The position will be based in Agadez, Niger. Regular travel to Niamey for work purposes will be expected (75%-25%). The coordinator will live in shared housing in Agadez providing essential amenities and is expected to abide by IRC security guidelines.