Requisition ID: req6169
Job Title: Manager, Food and Agriculture Programs
Sector: Food Security
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Charlottesville, VA USA
The Manager, Food and Agriculture Programs provides leadership and oversight for all elements of New Roots programming including the ongoing development and implementation of the Micro Producer program, garden program, food access initiatives and associated educational activities that support the mental and physical health of refugees and other immigrants.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Strategic Leadership and Management
- Provide oversight and strategic direction to all New Roots activities and programming.
- Participate in national level discussions on the future direction of the New Roots program including development of a program framework and methods.
- Develop and maintain a wide range of community contacts to support the New Roots program including current and potential partners involved with food security and access, healthy eating and nutrition, mental health and wellbeing, local sustainable agriculture, city and county agencies, and landowners.
- Manage and build capacity of New Roots staff, interns and volunteers.
- Develop and manage budget for New Roots program.
- Represent the IRC as part of the Charlottesville Food Justice Network.
Program Implementation and Oversight
- Oversee and ensure the ongoing success of the Micro Producer Program for refugees and others to cultivate food for market as an income patching and skill development tool.
- Support IRC’s existing community gardens as well as the development of additional garden locations.
- Orchestrate opportunities for farm, garden and market venues to become inclusive community spaces for refugees and immigrants.
- Coordinate with key IRC staff on activities to improve refugees’ food security and understanding of good nutrition.
- Expand upon food access initiatives such as Fresh Fund incentives program and neighborhood markets to improve availability of nutritious and culturally desirable foods.
- Ensure that all newly arriving refugees receive a nutrition orientation upon arrival.
With guidance from Executive Director and Technical Advisor:
- Develop fundraising plan to meet the needs of Charlottesville’s New Roots program.
- Develop donor relations for financial and in-kind gifts.
- Identify potential funders and write grant proposals for private and public funding opportunities.
Data Collection and Analysis
- Develop and implement measurement tools for New Roots that record multiple outcomes across programs.
- Analyze data to identify outcomes, trends, and conclusions that contribute to the improvement of New Roots programming and identify unmet needs in the target population.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Community or International Development, Nonprofit Management, Food Systems, Agriculture or related strongly preferred
- Minimum of 5 years related work experience
- Experience managing others in a professional setting
- Experience and proven success in grant-writing and fundraising
- Background in food justice a plus
- Ability to build and track budgets
- Demonstrated understanding of agriculture and business development
- Strong organizational skills, motivated, flexible and able to work independently
- Fluent in English, both spoken and written
- Demonstrated multi-cultural experience and ability to communicate with limited-English speakers
- Valid driver’s license, active insurance policy and access to reliable transportation
- A combination of standard office environment and ‘field’ time in and around the service delivery area to perform the above outlined responsibilities.
- May require occasional weekend and/or evening work.