Requisition ID: req6762
Job Title: Community Engagement intern
Sector: Community Development
Employment Category: Intern
Employment Type: Part-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: New York, NY HQ USA
The Community Engagement intern will play a key role in helping the IRC to implement the Community Engagement initiative, including fostering Refugee Voices. He or she will assist with the development, design, and dissemination of tools and trainings, with project administration, with research, and with network communication. The position reports to the Associate Director of Community Mobilization and Engagement.
COMMITMENT: 3-5 months starting immediately, 15-20 hours per week
- Assist with community engagement research, including collection of tools, data, and resources
- Support the development of new community engagement resources by drafting, reviewing, and visually designing materials and trainings
- Support as needed with proposal development and project management for community engagement funding opportunities
- Support the development of content for Refugee Voices engagement opportunities
- Maintain calendar for and project manage execution of national and local activities for Refugee Voices
- Provide administrative and planning support for Refugee Voices meetings and events as needed
- Develop infrastructure for and maintain database of current Refugee Voices, and regular communication mechanisms
- Other responsibilities as assigned
- This internship is for undergraduate or graduate students, with a preference for graduate students. Preference will be given to students who have completed relevant coursework, and/or have relevant experience in, public policy, public administration, forced migration, US immigration, non-profit management, leadership development, and/or community engagement, development, or organizating.
- Understanding of issues impacting refugees and immigrants in the United States
- Strong writing, editing, and qualitative research skills with focus on details.
- Good analytical and problem solving ability
- Graphic design skills or experience creating visual materials is a plus.
- Solid computer skills: excellent skills in Microsoft Office programs.
1. The intern will gain professional experience in community engagement and program design and delivery.
2. The intern will deepen understanding of current community engagement, refugee resettlement, and US immigration topics and practices.
3. The intern will gain experience with methods used for gathering and sharing best practices; developing and implementing trainings and tools; and managing a diverse national network.
This is an unpaid internship position. No financial compensation, including compensation for relocation, is available.
Interested applicants should email a resume, cover letter, and a short writing sample, preferably on a relevant topic, to Kristen.Aster@rescue.org with the subject line Community Engagement Intern.