Requisition ID: req693
Job Title: Casework Assistant
Sector: Social Work
Employment Category: Occasional
Location: USA-San Jose, CA
Background/IRC Summary: The mission of the International Rescue Committee (IRC) is to help people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover and gain control of their future. Founded in 1933, the IRC has 26 offices in the United States and a presence in over 40 countries.
Job Overview/Summary: The Casework Assistant provides direct support to the resettlement team to facilitate the resettlement of newly arrived refugees.
Major Responsibilities: Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting the resettlement team in the provision of core services such as purchasing household supplies and furniture, household set-up, orientation, purchasing supplies, providing transportation, airport pick-ups and related activities that support the client resettlement process.
- Supporting the resettlement team’s efforts to link clients with appropriate educational, health and social services.
- Assisting with the timely completion of client records, documentation, and case files.
- Providing language assistance as required.
- Other duties as needed.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Site Manager
Position directly supervises: n/a
Indirect Reporting: n/a
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
- The skills and knowledge typically acquired through the equivalent of up to one year of combined job related training and experience. Ideally, a significant portion of this experience will have been gained in social services, humanitarian relief, public service, or other not-for profit environment.
- Fluent in English, both spoken and written; bilingual ability in the predominant language of the local client base is desired.
- Detail oriented with the proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Valid driver’s license, reliable vehicle with current insurance, and the ability to travel regularly throughout the service delivery area (escorting clients and other activities related to client resettlement needs).
Working Environment: Standard office work environment, with visits to local social service agencies, retail establishments, client housing and other locations as needed.
Salary: $17 hourly