Job Title: Intern - Cultural Orientation
Employment Category: Intern
Location: Sacramento, CA USA
All newly arrived refugees to IRC Sacramento attend a series of Cultural Orientation (CO) classes. The CO Intern will be responsible for the logistics of CO classes as instructed by the CO Coordinator each week. CO classes are targeted to adult refugees and class size or composition will vary. Additionally, the Cultural Orientation Intern will assist the CO Coordinator to develop evaluation tools for all CO classes, including public transit trainings and/or additional relevant trainings based on population needs.
- Provide weekly logistical assistance for CO classes, including setting up the physical classroom space, preparing materials, helping with documentation, and transportation training.
- Facilitate weekly CO classes in a multicultural setting.
- Develop and implement basic evaluation procedures for each CO class.
- Provide public transit trainings to newly arrived refugees as instructed by the CO Coordinator.
- For each training complete monitoring and evaluation forms to assess client comprehension.
- Contact clients to provide reminders prior to each training session.
- Other relevant duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with partners, colleagues, and clients in a cross-cultural, team based environment.
- Experience teaching or training preferred.
- Excellent intercultural communication skills and experience working with diverse populations.
- Willingness to use public transit, including local bus and train service.
- Available to work at least 15-20 hours weekly.
- Strong attention to detail and commitment to client confidentiality.
This position reports to the Cultural Orientation Coordinator.
- This is an unpaid internship.
- Work related driving is eligible for reimbursement at the charitable mileage rate.
- Internships are available for current college students, graduate students, and graduates less than 2 years post-graduation. Course credit and transcript notation are available if the student submits the appropriate paperwork to the Volunteer Specialist.