Requisition ID: req8017
Job Title: Anaesthetic Officer
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Yumbe, Uganda
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover and gain control of their future. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home. The IRC has been working in Uganda since 1998 supporting nationals, refugees and various institutions in the country notably the government, community based organizations, the civil society and the private sector. The current program portfolio in Uganda includes health, peace building, gender-based violence, economic recovery and agribusiness, and children & youth. https://www.rescue.org/country/uganda
IRC has a country office in Kampala, a regional office in Kitgum, Adjumani, Kiryandongo and Moroto. Given the recent conflict outbreak in South Sudan, IRC re-opened the Yumbe Field site office to support refugees being settled in Bidibidi refugee settlement in Yumbe District and in Arua District; the IRC is one of the first responders to the emergency situation in Imvepi refugee settlement.
The Nutrition Assistant will be reporting to the program nutrition officer and will be based in bidibidi refugee settlement found in yumbe district and shall be responsible for providing health education talks, screening to children, women and their partners in the health facility and in the community on nutrition related issues. S/he will provide anthropometric assessment, recording, referral and linking clients to respective service points and shall maintain environment friendly working space hence adhering to infection control and prevention practices. S/he will provide nutrition services including but not limited to counseling, linkage and preparing treatment for the clients.
Specific Job description:
- Will be supporting the admissions of severe malnutrition cases following properly laid down standards.
- Prepare and feeding of severely malnourished patients under observation in the inpatient wards.
- Will be responsible for case management of malnutrition patients on follow-ups and those on ward and ensure that all routine medications are administered appropriately.
- To counsel and advise in-patients/follow-ups/parents/guardians on proper care and nutrition at home.
- Designing of special diets for therapeutic purposes
- Participate in community outreaches and research activities
- Plan and prepare mentorship sessions/CMEs for health workers
- To carry out home visits as a follow up on discharged patients to ensure adherence of the clients on the nutrition programmes.
- Participate in screening at the triage of children under the age of five to monitor and ensure early detection of malnutrition cases.
- Support the EPI department through carrying out routine growth monitoring activities and ensuring that all malnourished children have child health cards.
- Ensure that all the stored food supplements are safe and free from contamination and theft and the store is clean all the time.
- Ensure the kitchen for preparation of therapeutic milk for severely malnourished children and the surrounding environment is clean, hygienic and well maintained.
- Prepare and submit the nutrition reports for both the in patients and out patients as guided by the nutrition officer.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the supervisor
Expected key out puts
- Providing routine nutrition education and counselling
- Effective participation in community outreach activities and dialogues
- As well as maintained, clean and hygienic food store
- Compile Reports and submit on time
- Malnutrition case screening and documentation
- Taking care and feeding of admitted severely malnourished children in the paediatric ward
- Diploma in human nutrition and dietetics from recognized institution
- Must be registered with relevant profession body
- Relevant working experience of two years