Requisition ID: req5406
Job Title: Research Advisor, Education
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: Yes
Location: USA-New York, NY - HQ
This position will be a member of the Research & Innovation Unit and work closely with the Education Unit to advance the IRC’s research on education. Responsibilities will include designing research studies, analyzing from impact evaluations and operational studies, writing reports, providing support for business development proposals, and implementing and publishing high-quality research.
- Bring rigorous research methods to innovation projects to complement human-centered design approaches and measure the impact of new programs.
- Study theory of change, pathways to impact, and intended outcomes in order to create the most relevant evaluation methods for each project.
- Choose the appropriate measures and tools to rigorously evaluate various project outcomes. Test these measures in different countries and support the team to implement them.
- Run trainings with teams to implement research instruments when appropriate.
- Work analyzing data and writing reports, including:
- Quantitative/ qualitative research studies to explore the effects of education interventions on children’s access to education opportunities and their learning and transition outcomes
- Implementation research to look at how the quality and fidelity of program implementation affect different outcomes for different types of students
- Measurement research to assess the reliability and validity of assessment instruments and establish protocols for improvement
- Provide technical input for M&E team to ensure that the project obtains high quality data for the purposes of research
- Work with an internal team focused on education research moving our education research priorities forward.
- Contribute to dissemination of research findings by writing blogs, briefs, and publications in academic journals and practitioner-focused outlets;
- Provide support in business development processes for research, including gathering information ahead of proposals.
- Other tasks as negotiated
- PhD or MA in education, economics or related field
- Knowledge of causal inference methods
- Strong statistical skills (multi-level modeling required, structural equation modeling highly desirable) and experience assessing the reliability and validity of measures.
- Experience or expertise in qualitative research, use of NVivo highly desired.
- Candidates must be comfortable navigating the entire project life cycle, from Human Centered Design, to Implementation Research and Rigorous Evaluations. Our projects evolve at the intersection of design, implementation and evaluation, and some level of flexibility and comfort navigating these 3 worlds will be essential.
- Minimum five years of progressive experience in education research and/or relevant practice
- Demonstrated experience with business development
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively in a multi-cultural environment
- Solid organizational skills: the ability to be flexible and work well under pressure, dealing with competing priorities in a fast-paced team environment;
- Interest in and ability to think and plan at the ‘big picture’ level;
- Fluent in English; French or Arabic language a plus
- Standard office work environment
- Preference for NY or DC, but negotiable.