Requisition ID: req5887
Job Title: Technical Advisor, Education
Contract: Regular / Permanent
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: Yes
Location: Bangkok, Thailand or London, UK
The IRC seeks an Education Technical Advisor for Asia Region to guide on program design, provide direct technical support, and build technical capacity to implement, measure and continuously improve education programs in IRC country programs in Asia (Afghanistan, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Myamar, and Thailand). To ensure quality programming towards impacting the lives of children and youth affected by conflict and crisis through IRC’s work, the Education Technical Advisor (Ed TA) will: support country program staff to design programs and projects that are aligned to the IRC’s outcomes and evidence framework / theories of change / core indicators; review technical quality of proposals; input into proposal go/no go decisions; analyze data to inform course correction; conduct technical trainings and ongoing technical coaching, share cross-context learning with country program staff; design, review and share program-specific tools; support senior technical country program recruitment and capacity--building.
Location: Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur or London
- Provide targeted program design, technical support, materials adaptation and revisions, field testing, assessment and monitoring/evaluation support and oversight to an upcoming strategic education initiative in Lebanon
- Support country program staff to design programs and projects, ensuring that they are:
- Aligned with the IRC’s strategy 2020 which includes contextualizing education outcomes, the theories of change and include interventions chosen based on best available evidence;
- Responsive to client needs and preferences based on sound context and gender analysis
- Support selection of indicators for country programs based on available and emerging indicator testing;
- Review technical quality of proposals, including providing input on budgets required for project delivery, technical activities, ensuring alignment to IRC’s education and cross-sectoral outcomes;
- Input into go / no go decisions on proposals;
- Help analyze data to inform periodic review and course correction to ensure that IRC’s programs are based on evidence and are evidence-generating;
- Conduct technical training and ongoing technical coaching for country program staff, including on outcomes, theories of change, evidence and indicators;
- Provide specific guidance to IRC education programs in the Middle East in efforts to integrate Improvement Science approaches into standard IRC Teacher Professional Development
- Share cross-context learning with country program staff across the region;
- Review and share program-specific tools / resources / curricula working with IRC education specialist to contextualize and adapt global and country-specific materials;
- Support planning and implementation of partnership activities, including research initiatives with academic partners
- Support senior technical country program recruitment
- Engage with donors and do outreach in support of country programs, especially in relation to program start up;
- Write technical narratives of proposals;
- Help define approach to teaming / partnering with other organizations;
- Present IRC research findings across contexts and relevant conferences;
- Support senior country program staff onboarding;
Education: Master’s/post-graduate degree in education, education psychology, social work, human development or relevant field or equivalent combination of education and experience is required. Participate in ongoing training courses and share knowledge and skill sets within the unit. Expertise in reading is desirable.
Work Experience: A minimum of 3 to 5 years of implementing and/or managing large Education programs and teams is required, within a humanitarian or international development setting, as are at least 1—2 years acting in an advisory capacity on education programming. Education work experience in Asia is required. Experience in technical tools and materials development, monitoring and evaluation, and research in relation to education is highly desired. Experience in strategy development and working across sectors or disciplines is highly desired. Experience in reading is also highly desirable.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies: Demonstrated expertise in education program design, monitoring and evaluation, with the ability to turn concepts and strategy into measurable action. Strong verbal and written communication skills. Demonstrated commitment to renewing and maintaining currency with best practices. Experience in continuous quality improvement and/or Improvement Science in education contexts a plus. Demonstrated skills in supporting reading programs including the development of teaching and learning materials is desirable.
Language Skills: Proficiency in national languages spoken in Pakistan, Afghanistan or Bangladesh preferred. Fluency in written and spoken English required. Proficiency in French or Arabic is a plus.
Working Environment: Up to 40% travel may be required. This position will preferably be based in Europe or Asia and will include competitive compensation, return flight to post, shipping allowance, temporary housing and a relocation allowance.